A.M. Ran 20.4 with Jeff in 2:24:42. Did the planned 4 mile time trial. Everything went pretty much as planned. Jeff paced me with near perfection with the splits of 5:29 - 5:31 - 5:29 in the first three miles. There was only one glitch. He spaced it a bit in the third mile, so we ended up running an 81 quarter to catch up right before the 180 turn at the 3 mile mark. Then the plan was 80 - 80 - then see what happens. Jeffs erred a bit and hit 79, which would have been OK without 180 and 81 preceding quarter, but with those it was a bit too much for me. So that reduced the "see what happens" in the last 0.5 to "see if I can maintain the pace". Then we did 80, 81. After that Jeff picked it up and ran 72, while I still managed 79. This gave me 5:19 for the last mile and 21:48.3 for the whole distance. I was happy about the result for several reasons:
- I was wearing pants, so maybe 3 seconds a mile loss.
- Two 180 degree turns, so maybe 7 seconds total loss.
- Even without the turns the trail for some reason (possibly more than one) naturally loses 5 seconds a mile compared to flat road races.
- My last 5 K was 16:54. Last year I've had a good number of races where I could not crack 17:00.
- My last mile was 11 seconds faster than the first three.
- I beat my Thanksgiving time by 1:16 on a slower course.
Afterwards we jogged some, then ran 2 with Benjamin in 15:38 with the last quarter in 87. Then we did 2x1 mile on the trail, first in 5:37.8 and second in 5:28.8.
Jenny and Julia ran 2.5 with Sarah.
P.M. 0.5 with Joseph in 4:38. 0.25 with Jacob in 2:38.